- 2–6 Players
- 25ish Minutes
Turn the golden rule into gold. Help out others for a chance to score big.
Make blocks of cards to score points, or you can add onto others’ blocks to score points for both of you and grab dice. These dice are tickets for the end-of-round lottery where they can score even more points.
Do you have the right dice?
The more you help out others, the more chances you’ll have to hit it big. Most points after 3 rounds wins!
Thanks a Lottery is a rummy-ish game of selfish motiviation for 2–6 players.
How to Play
Score the most points over 3 rounds to win. You’ll score points by:
- Playing blocks of in front of yourself
- Adding to blocks in front of others
- Having the right dice for the end-of-round lottery
You’ll get a new hand of 6 cards to start the round. You’ll also roll all 15 dice to make the round’s dice pool. These dice are tickets for the lottery at the end of the round.
Take turns drawing a card, then trying to score points. To start, all you can do is play a block in front of yourself.
What’s a Block?
A block is 3 or more cards that are either sequential or identical.
Use Wild cards in place of another card. You can only use 1 wild per block, and you can only play them in your own blocks.
Expanding Your Options
Once you play a block for yourself, future turns give you more options:
- Play a new block in front of yourself
- Add cards to your blocks
- Add cards to someone else’s blocks, taking a die from the dice pool per card added
- Replace a Wild in someone else’s blocks with the real deal, taking that Wild into your hand and taking a die from the dice pool
Which dice do you take from the dice pool? Do you load up on the same dice to go for a windfall, or do you spread them out in the hopes of hitting anything?
Wrapping the Round
Keep taking turns until someone either:
- Starts their turn with at least 1 die but no cards in their hand, or;
- Can’t draw a card because the central deck is empty, or;
- Takes the last die from the dice pool.
Turns then stop and everyone has the option of re-rolling any of their dice 1 time. From there, it’s time to hold the lottery.
Holding the Lottery
Shake up the 8 tokens in the tin, then draw 3 at random. As you draw tokens, place them on the round’s prize card. All matching dice score the points shown.
But hang on… some of those tokens aren’t dice. The means no dice score these points. The means that all dice score these points.
Score the Round
Your score this round goes like this:
- Get 1 point per card in your own blocks
- Get 1 point per die in front of you
- Get all the points your dice won in the lottery
- And lose 1 point per card still in your hand at the end of the round
This is your total for the round.
See Who Wins
If this was Round 1 or Round 2, write down your score and start a new round. Whoever caused the end of the round deals next time.
Otherwise, add up your scores from all 3 rounds, and whoever has the most points wins!
Available Now atThe Game Crafter
I publish my games on-demand at The Game Crafter. That means no waste, and no boxes sitting in a warehouse somewhere. Perfect for how many games I sell!
But it also means:
- Each copy is more expensive to produce
- It takes a little time to make your copy
- Shipping isn’t free (though it’s only a couple bucks)
Don’t fret! The quality is great and their service is solid. Still have questions? Hit me up. Otherwise…
Buy Now for $23 Plus Shipping